Thursday, March 26, 2009

a thought

video games?
Okay, so I was thinking yesterday about video games (incidentally, I was playing Zelda and the Minish Cap for the first time in about a year). You know how sometimes people complain about their kids being too involved/obsessed with technology – specifically video games?
Well, quite frankly, I was wondering if that addiction could be (hypothetically) healthy. For example, say you had a kid with OCD and/or ADD, and they run around the house, driving you up the walls at all times.

Then, for some random/holiday-related reason, they get a video game – something simple, but addicting – maybe a Zelda game? Plenty of puzzles, intriguing plot, and, of course, a fair share of violence. Suddenly, they’re totally absorbed in the game – maybe noisy, but not so hyped up. Now the parent complains about his addiction to the game - “He’s not getting enough fresh air!” “His brain is rotting!” Which, I’m no psychologist, I think is probably true.

But if you give it some thought, some games really make a kid think – again, Zelda comes to mind (what? it provoked the thought, didn’t it? why can’t it be a constant in this equation?) – so they could be good in small doses. And, let’s face it, it could give the mom a little peace of mind.

I mean, if your brain is so focused on this screen that you become lazy, or relaxed, when you have that kind of disorder, but your heart rate can stay accelerated (“OMG THIS BOSS IS REALLY EXCITING!”) and your mind is constantly alert, that’s kind of a conundrum. So, although I know too much video gaming is definitely bad for a kid (I mean, come on! I love spending hours in a tree. It’s not that hard to walk away from your DS), I think it’s an interesting idea to entertain. I mean, it obviously doesn’t teach any life skills (no, Cooking Mama doesn’t count as a life skill), but… like I said, it’s a conundrum.

Give it some thought. Comment and let me know what you think!

cried last night about the filly for the first time in a little while; I made the mistake of listening to Untouched and thinking about her... I’d thought I was getting better at bearing it – turns out, I was just... numb. Maybe it’s because my eyes ran out of tears. I had a nightmare, too. Last night… wasn’t so great. I need to see her. I need some information. Scouring dA looking for artists who would do a self portrait based on a written description – so I’d have something, even something as pathetic as that, to remember her by – just isn’t doing it. I need to know... Does Susan know where she went? Does Jen? Will Laura ask...?
Oh, yeah. I’ve spent the week at my dad’s since it’s spring break. Not fun :(

please send the filly your prayers that she’s safe and comfortable tonight. i love you, pretty girl… bless you. you’ll always have a special place in my heart just for you.

written from my laptop at my dad’s, finished 12 47 PM [Fri, Mar. 27, 2009]

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

  © 2009 TBK's Barn Life

True Contemplation Blogger Template by M Shodiq Mustika